In most cases it is expected that children attending any Prayer Book Society event will have an accompanying adult (e.g. family member/guardian) and that this adult will remain responsible for the child while at the event.
Children and young people who are attending an event without an accompanying adult must be supervised at all times by a minimum of two adults from the Prayer Book Society. Where at all possible, these two adults should not be partners/spouses/related to each other. Where practical and appropriate, the door of the room where the child or young person is present should be kept ajar.
When travelling to or from Prayer Book Society events, adults must avoid being alone in a vehicle with a child or young person for whom they are not personally responsible (e.g. as family member/guardian).
Anyone having regular contact (defined as at least once per month) with children or young people during the course of the Society's activities must act in accordance with the guidance issued from time to time by the Independent Safeguarding Authority or any successor body. If a Prayer Book Society Branch plans to work with children or young people on a regular basis it shall inform the Board in advance.
If any officer or other member of the Society becomes aware of or has suspicion of misconduct by an officer or member of the Society with regard to children or young people or has any concern about a member in relation to children or young people he or she must report the matter immediately to the Chairman of the Branch concerned or to the Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Company Secretary of the Society or the Regional Trustee of the Society for the Region concerned.
Any Branch Chairman receiving a report in accordance with the preceding paragraph hereof or receiving from any source any complaint about or expression of concern about the conduct of any member towards children or young people shall immediately report the matter to the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, or Company Secretary of the Society or the Regional Trustee of the Society for the Region concerned.
By authority of the Board: issued on 17th September 2009
Click here to return to the society page.
1. If the Board of the Prayer Book Society ("PBS") becomes aware (whether by report pursuant to the requirements of the PBS Child Protection Policy or otherwise) of any allegations, suspicions or concerns regarding the conduct of any member, associate member or applicant for membership of the PBS ("the subject") towards or in relation to children or young people, the Board will deal with the matter in accordance with this Protocol.
2. The Board will investigate the matters complained of in such manner and to such extent as it considers appropriate in accordance with PBS' Christian ethos and advice given by the Independent Safeguarding Authority, with or without the aid of any Branch Officer or Committee member as the Board considers appropriate, to ascertain as best it reasonably can the facts and evidence available.
3. If upon completion of its investigation the Board is reasonably satisfied that there is cause for concern the Board will consider whether immediate expulsion of the subject (or in the case of an applicant, refusal of membership) is called for or whether the matter may reasonably be dealt with by requiring the subject to enter into a formal written agreement ("the Agreement") with the PBS in the form hereto annexed. In general, and subject to their overriding duty to safeguard children and young people and to protect the reputation and assets of the PBS, the Agreement will be the Board's preferred course.
4. If the Board determines that membership may continue, or be granted, provided the subject enters into an Agreement the subject shall be notified in one of the following ways, as the Board considers appropriate in the circumstances:
In stating requirements or giving instruction at a meeting or in a letter regard shall be had to the contents of the Agreement, this Protocol and the Guidance Notes issued under this Protocol.
5.If the Board proceeds under paragraph 4 above:
6. If the Agreement is signed and returned by the subject it will be signed by the Chairman or another Trustee on behalf of the PBS and a copy of the Agreement so signed will be sent to the subject.
7. A copy of the Agreement will also be sent to the Chairman of the subject's Branch (and any other Branch that the subject may subsequently join) with instructions that he/she is to acquaint the other Officers and Committee Members of the Branch (as constituted from time to time) with its existence and contents (in respect of which they are to observe strict confidentiality), and they are required to monitor the conduct of the subject at PBS events and as necessary require his compliance with the Agreement. They shall have regard to the Guidance Notes issued herewith and to any revised or amended Guidance Notes that may from time to time be issued by the Board.
8. If any breach of the Agreement is observed the observer should make a written note of the date, time, location and nature of the breach and the same should forthwith be reported (preferably by e-mail) to the Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Company Secretary of the PBS or to the Regional Trustee for the region in which the Branch is situated. Breach of the Agreement will generally result in immediate expulsion. If the breach is minor the Board may invite the subject to explain his or her conduct. If the Board is convinced by the explanation the breach will be endorsed on the Agreement.
9. The Board will review all the Agreements in force and this Protocol as a standing item on the Agenda for the first Board Meeting after each Annual General Meeting of the PBS to ensure that any new Trustee is advised and continuing Trustees are reminded of the existence of and need to monitor any Agreements.. Following each such Board Meeting the Board will conduct a review with the Chairman of any Branch(es) where such an Agreement is in force to monitor compliance.
10. Notes will be issued to the Chairmen of all Branches for their guidance and the guidance of other Branch Officers and committee members in the monitoring and management of anyone subject to such an Agreement.
1. The subject of a child protection agreement referred to in the Protocol ("the subject") will have been advised that in alerting the senior PBS Officer present at any function he/she may attend (anywhere in the country) at which children are found to be present (as is required by such an agreement) he/she need only say "For historic reasons I have agreed with the PBS Board of Trustees to make myself known to the senior PBS official present at any PBS occasion at which children or young people are present".
2. If someone at a PBS occasion makes such a statement, or uses a similar form of words, the senior officer present will know that the person is the subject of a child protection agreement. It is not necessary for any response beyond "Thank you for telling me." Obviously, no tactless enquiry should be made as to reasons.
3. The senior officer should discreetly alert other Branch Officers and/or committee members on duty and all must be aware of the need to be particularly vigilant, not only with regard to the subject, but also with regard to the children and young people themselves.
4. It is important that the subject be kept at a distance from children and young people; he should sit or stand in a position where eye contact cannot be made between him/her and them - if necessary he/she should discreetly and tactfully be required to move to another place. It is equally important to ensure, again discreetly and tactfully, that children and young people do not gather round the subject. The subject may have some characteristic or manner attractive to children and/or young people.
5. Obviously, extra vigilance is required if the subject visits the lavatory or shows any sign of following a child or young person.
6. These guidance notes do of course also apply to the Chairman other Officers and Committee Members of any Branch which has a member subject to a child protection agreement all of whom will be aware of the identity of the subject.
Agreement between [Name] and the Prayer Book Society ("PBS")
I, [Name] of [Address] hereby agree and undertake:
In addition, I agree:
1. To the existence and content of this Agreement being made known to all the current and future members of the Board of Trustees of the PBS and to the current and future Officers and committee members of any Branch of the PBS of which I may from time to time be a member for so long as I shall remain a member of the PBS.
2. If I wish to join another branch of the PBS I shall send written notice of my intention to the Chairman of the PBS at the registered office of the PBS.
3. In this Agreement the PBS includes any reconstitution of or successor organisation to the PBS as at present constituted.
4. No Trustee or other Officer or member of the Society has authority to vary the terms of this agreement or to authorise or permit conduct contrary to the terms of this Agreement.
5. Any breach of this Agreement by me will result in the Board of Trustees immediately implementing the procedure under the PBS Articles of Association to expel me. Delay by the Board for whatever reason shall not constitute a waiver of the breach.
Trustee on behalf of the PBS
A company limited by guarantee registered in England: Company No. 4786973 and Registered Charity No. 1099295
Isle of Man Company Registration No. 4369F and Registered Charity No. 952.