Churches & Services

PCC of St Simon & St Jude, Hockworthy

Hockworthy, Devon TA21 0NW

Hockworthy is a beautiful Grade 2 church on a hillside dating from 1161 or earlier, albeit all bar the tower having been rebuilt in 1864 by the Newman family when on the point of collapse.  The Newmans were vicars from 1852 to 1920.  The tower is medieval.  The remainder is the only church designed by the architect Charles Durnford Greenway who died in 1870 aged 31. There are three bells and original bell frame by Thomas Billie (1808) as well as fine stained glass and an 1884 organ.  A history of the church with burial details since 1578 has been published. 

Being a small rural community, we only have two services a month, Holy Communion on the 2nd Sunday and Matins/Family Service on the 4th.  All bar the six Family Services a year are Book of Common Prayer.  Visitors are most welcome for worship and for refreshments afterwards. 

For more information please visit our website www.sptmc.org